Thursday, May 31, 2007

A Reminder: Talent Is Everywhere
by jasien swords

Last night I watched Glen Hansard of The Frames, in his movie-musical, Once. It reminded me of something I seem to repeatedly take for granted. In this day and age, where aspiring artists of all media can simply teach themselves a computer program, then master it, then publish their work on the web, why is it so hard to wrap our brains around talent?

Is it because we have too many choices? Or not enough time to devote to each individual's contribution? Wouldn't that be a shame, and yet I don't think many of us care about talent. This is just my observation, so don't be offended if it doesn't apply to you, but when you take a look at what some people get away with - souless entries into the ever-maddening world of entertainment. Shall I expand my thought? Spiderman 3, Shrek 3, Pirates 3, and I'll stop there if only because I'm an optimist, or better yet, a glutton for punishment. I've seen all three of these movies, and all three disappointed me. But, they got my money. Now, I won't go so far as to say all talent was void in these new additions to their trilogies. I will however say that it is an upsetting trend to see bigger and bigger budgets yielding more mindless stories.

As I sat and watched Once unfold, it occured to me how simple of a story it was. Two kindred spirits bumping into each other and guiding each other through a period of their lives. What a concept - something that happens daily. Needless to say, I loved the film. I loved the music, but I have always liked Hansard. I like that he writes about real things, things I can relate to. I like so many things that are basic.



Yes, talent is everywhere. I was perusing all of my weekly blogs when I came upon this young girl singing and playing the Sufjan song, Chicago. She's not just dabbling, she is blowing it out of the water...and in a bathroom, no less.

I don't know what my point is, really. I guess I am blogging just to say I care about talented people who may or may not be heard. If you feel that way too, then the next time someone you know or see is pouring themselves into something really impressive, say thanks.

1 Comments:

Blogger Bwell said...

Jason, i couldn't agree with you more. its so easy to be swayed by the "artist" that is fronted by money; i catch myself doing it all the time (usually movies and music too). reality is, that talent has nothing to do with money, its much more closely related to the heart, the mind, and the soul. the search for gratifying talent is usually more difficult when you take it that serious, but its also much more satisfying, and moving. you have given us two perfect examples. thanks.

-b

2:32 PM 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Indie-Verse


Music Submission & Song Removal
MP3s and songs played on DDI are for sampling purposes only. Please support these artists by purchasing their music. If you have a complaint regarding a song played, please utilize the form below and request that it be removed. I will endeavor to remove the song as quickly as possible.

Get Heard. For those wanting to submit music to the show, you can email me .mp3's by clicking here,





Download the lastest show
Download the Latest Show
High-Quality MP3»
 
Subscribe to Feed (RSS 2.0) Subscribe in iTunes Download iTunes Subscribe to Feed