Tuesday, July 01, 2008

So What's The Deal With INDIE-VERSE???

About, oh, four months ago, I got a phone call from CBS Radio asking me if I could come in and talk to them about developing an indie rock radio station for the Dallas / Ft. Worth Metroplex. I met with Eric Landrum, who is the Program Director for the new station, and we immediately began throwing ideas out. I am beyond thrilled to tell you that CBS Radio has given us the green light to move forward with producing a full blown 24/7 HD Radio Station. The station can be heard right now by anyone with an HD Radio on 105.3 HD - 2, not to be confused with LIVE 105.3 which is still remaining an FM Station. The hope is that at some point in the near future you will be able to hear the station in FM, but just like most things worth waiting for, the process will be slow and calculated.

The station name is the INDIE-VERSE ( kind of like a Musical Universe for Indie-kids ). In the next few weeks, we will be launching a website where anyone, anywhere, can stream the station 24 hours a day 7 days a week.

Now, what does this mean for Dallas Does Indie? Well first let me give you a little background of the show, and what my goal has been from the beginning.

3 years ago, I got so fed up with how bad Dallas radio had become that I taught myself about Podcasting and decided I was going to do something to give people in the Dallas area like me a chance at actually hearing great music from artists that they may otherwise never get to know about. I believe the first month of Dallas Does Indies life, I had a total 15 listeners. These days DDI is heard by nearly 3000 people a week from all over the world. I have grown to love how grass roots the podcast community is, and I don’t want to forfeit the rare sense of accomplishment I have received from seeing each and every one of you download a show produced by just a normal music loving guy who does a show out of a spare bedroom in his house.

That being said, we have the opportunity to do what I had in mind all along, which is change the way Dallas/Ft. Worth thinks about music. So I am asking you to embrace this with me. Starting with this weeks episode, Dallas Does Indie will be heard not only by podcast, but also on the INDIE-VERSE every Monday from 10-11 a.m., and re-air every Thursday from 1-2 p.m. I will be working with Eric Landrum and the team at INDIE-VERSE to make sure that every aspect of the station is quality. I will also be developing and producing other shows that air throughout the week. In addition, several others who share our same passion for good music will be bringing you weekly shows.

This is a dream come to fruition for me, and hopefully for you as well. From here on you will hear me intro the show as Dallas Does Indie on The INDIE-VERSE. I hope that you tune in to 105.3 HD2 and support what we are doing. Feel free to email with any questions you may have. Again, Dallas Does Indie isn’t going anywhere, you will still be able to download the show from iTunes. We will be going back to our weekly format to coincide with the weekly radio show. I realize that what I am telling you now is a lot to take in, and you may be wondering what the heck HD Radio is.

HD Radio is a Digital Radio format that is the early stages of development. It basically uses stations "inbetween" FM broadcast. It sends out a separate and far clearer radio signal to anyone who has an HD Radio in the area. I think how far the signal reaches varies depending on the station, but with CBS being one of the largest providers of radio broadcasting in the country, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

My main focus, at least for now, is on the Indie-Verse website. If you were to look at it today, July 1st, it doesn't look like much, but trust me I have a very vivid idea of how I want the site to function. It just takes time.

Anyways, you know as much as I do now, so like I said on the show - lets go through it together. Give me your feedback on what you have always wanted in a Dallas Radio Station and Eric and I will do our best.

Jasien

3 Comments:

Blogger Brent Dixon said...

Congrats, man. That is huge and well deserved. Can't wait to check it out.

5:54 PM 
Blogger sean said...

Best news for radio in DFW since z-rock! anyone remember z-rock? anyway, as always i love the show, the music, and the opportunity to find new music.

thank you!

11:10 AM 
Blogger nffcnnr said...

Good job, that's great news! Now all i need is a fancy radio!
~the Awesome-o-meter

6:00 PM 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Indie-Verse


Music Submission & Song Removal
MP3s and songs played on DDI are for sampling purposes only. Please support these artists by purchasing their music. If you have a complaint regarding a song played, please utilize the form below and request that it be removed. I will endeavor to remove the song as quickly as possible.

Get Heard. For those wanting to submit music to the show, you can email me .mp3's by clicking here,





Download the lastest show
Download the Latest Show
High-Quality MP3»
 
Subscribe to Feed (RSS 2.0) Subscribe in iTunes Download iTunes Subscribe to Feed